Thursday, June 26, 2008

Making a Split

Yesterday I had three bee lovin’ friends (Julia, Joy & Harvey) come to help me split Boudicca’s hive. We confirmed that there was at least one capped queen cell (a swarm cell), so a split was needed. It was so hard for me not to stick my hand in to help. We located Boudicca, and put her in a fresh hive box with frames of brood, food and workers. Then we whisked her off to my friends Holly & Harvey’s garden for a “vacation”. The old hive remained with the queen cell(s). Hopefully I’ll get a new queen who successfully mates. It’s all so exciting!

The split simulates a swarm, and hopefully eliminates the urge to do it again. In the wild, the old queen takes off with a portion of the workers and supplies, and resettles elsewhere. This is why Boudicca was removed rather than the queen cells.

The theory behind moving the new split far away is that otherwise the workers may drift back to the old hive, leaving the queen and brood to die of neglect. The minimum distance recommended is two miles, because it is outside the bee’s typical range, so they won’t find their way back to the old hive. The bees reorient to the new location and forget their own home. After about three weeks, they can be moved back to the old bee yard, where they’ll (mostly) stay where they’re supposed to. Hopefully Boudicca’s crew won’t have filled too many more bee boxes by then, because carrying them all together could be a bother!

I have heard of effective ways to move them a shorter distance, but H & H seemed eager to bee-sit. Maybe next time I’ll try it the close-by method, and compare the results.

It is inconvenient to split a hive or have one swarm at this time of year. The big nectar flow is beginning, and a split hive has fewer workers to forage for nectar. This means less honey in August. From what I’ve read, the way I split the hive could salvage the honey crop. The old hive has most of the work force, which is now less interested in swarming, so they can get on with the business of making honey. The nurse bees will also have little to do in the hive after Boudicca’s brood matures and before a new queen begins laying. That means they can also get out and bring in the nectar. However, there will later be that little gap in the workforce because of the egg laying hiatus.

If a new queen fails in the old hive, I can recombine Boudicca & Co. and all should be happy. Strange how easily they can lose the urge to swarm. The nectar flow certainly helps. I suppose everyone is too busy to pack their bags & leave again.

I am fighting a small case of Boudicca separation anxiety. I have grown very attached to my first queen. I hope she’s happy in her holiday villa, and comes home refreshed.

Although I’ve not been laboring during my “medical leave”, I certainly haven’t had a chance to be completely indolent. I spent most of Tuesday on line, reading up on splitting hives and moving on to other subjects again. Yesterday was hive-split day, which included a visit to Julia’s bee yard to help her locate a queen she feared she didn’t have (she did have). Then another friend, Ian, came over with scans of his gorgeous artwork for me to print out. The files were huge, and took ages to resize and print. But I had fun with it, and even printed a few refrigerator magnets for him (and me!). If I can ever stop typing here, I can plug in a movie and be lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment