Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bloom Day October 13, 2009

This month's Bloom Day is a little early, because I'm heading for Alabama tomorrow. What was expected to be a big storm came in, but I was able to dart out and get some photos before it got very wet. So far the storm has been disappointing, giving only 1 of the promised 4 inches.

For the most part, the flowers are winding down. The abelias are going strong and several lavenders are still blooming, which is good for the bees. A couple of the mophead hydrangeas turn interesting, muted colors as they age, keeping them from being deadheaded for a while.


The "King" apples are nearly done, and I got a lot of nice, healthy fruit. I just haven't had time to juice the fallen apples, so they'll probably wind up in the compost. The "Pippins" (or whatever they are) are nearly ripe, and it looks like I'll get some good apples for drying.


In the veggie garden, I'm still harvesting "butterstick" summer squash. I'm also getting kale, lettuce and snow peas. The broccoli and cabbage plants are getting bigger; we'll see if I get anything edible from them. In the past, the soil just hasn't been rich enough to grow them well.


No comments:

Post a Comment