Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December Bloom Day


Before last week's heavy frost, we had quite a few nice flowers continuing to bloom. Sadly, the princess flower and nasturtiums shrivel when they see a refrigerator. The pineapple sage and hydrangeas are also looking badly frost-burned, and the remaining lavenders decided to give it rest. Other plants still look fine, but their flowers suffered from the frost followed by a storm. The snapdragons (which have been blooming throughout the year) and most of the roses are in the crummy-looking flower category. Only one lone rosebud still looked nice; it probably missed the frost.


Others, like the primulas, are in their wintery element.


As I was wrapping up today's garden photo shoot, a Steller's jay flew into the rhododendron by the back door. I "chucked" to him, and he came up close. A handful of peanuts were his reward for being so bold.

I've completed a year of mostly close-up photos of my garden flowers. I'm a bit embarrassed that very few areas actually look "nice". I'm a hodge-podge gardener, and very rarely plan a space. Next year I'll take on these embarrassing whole-garden photos, and perhaps motivate myself to improve my garden for public consumption.


No comments:

Post a Comment