Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bloom Day April 15, 2009

Singing Tree Gardens is a nursery on Dow's Prairie that specializes in rhodies and azaleas. They started another sale today, so I went up in quest of some plants for a couple of spots. I also needed ideas, but all I got was garden envy.


OK, so I did get some ideas and some more plants.


Since I was already in the neighborhood, I stopped at Miller Farms to get into more horticultural trouble. I came home with a couple of hostas, a couple of ferns, an abutilon, another hellebore, a bleeding heart, meadow rue and some more plants.

I didn't dare stop at Mad River Gardens.

April and May are the best months in my garden. Most of this is accidental because of the wood hyacinths and columbines that run riot throughout. Lilacs, camellias and rhodies fill out the aerial reaches. Better planning would extend flowery wonderfulness into the summer, but I'm just not that good yet.

Quan Yin


The magnolia is starting to leaf out.

At the next Humboldt Beekeepers Association, I am supposed to give a little talk on food plants for bees that bloom in winter and early spring. Just what I need: another project. I've been watching in the garden, but am certainly no expert. Fortunately, last year I helped put together a flower brochure for the beek club's booth at the county fair. And I've been interviewing the bees.

My April Bloom Day photo site

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Laura, your garden always gives me garden envy. Several of my plants seemed to be mysteriously dying. Then, one morning, I watched my dog solve the mystery for me. My male dog. ick. Now I have to figure out barriers and stuff so he can't pee things to death.
    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete