Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gardening

I've been hating this pittospora for a long time. Sure, it provided a visual and sound screen, but never looked very good, and was a bother to keep trimmed.

The pittospora (center of photo) last April.

Last week I went to Singing Tree Gardens and got two rhododendrons. At Miller Farms I got some more plants, as previously reported. Then on Monday I took out that annoying pittospora. It was an all-day project. Amazingly I didn't crush anything precious as I dropped limbs and cut down the trunks. The trunks on that sucker were heavy! I thought I'd be in a world of hurt the next day, but was surprised to find myself only a little sore.

The honeybees were a bit confused. The pitto' was blooming, and the bees really like it's sweet flowers. As I was dropping limbs, bees would hover about as if to say "WTF?". They adapted quickly though, and worked the fallen limbs, even after I dragged them in the back to the chipping pile.

Bye bye, pitto'. Note the bed in front of the house has been expanded. The hazel got moved forward, and will fill out soon enough.


Stumps

On Tuesday I planted the "Black Sport" rhody and an "Elsie Lee" azalea. They don't look like much now, but they should settle in before long.


I thought that a little more upper level vegetation might be nice, so on Wednesday I included a weeping buddleia to the left of the rhody. A couple of heaths were also tucked into the bed, and I spread some wood chips that I acquired from the side of the highway (yes, it's allowed).

I got a pile of other plants in the ground in other parts of the garden, including the "Colonel Coen" rhody. Some of these poor things have been waiting on me for a year.

Colonel Coen, blooming nicely.

Since Bloom Day last week, the "Unique Marmalade" rhody has opened up nicely.


Rhody season is getting going. Below: In the background, the Hanami cherry is nearly done, while the lilac & rhody are blooming nicely.


I also devised a support for a Pink Rain fuchsia that droops over a walkway. Bamboo kindly supplied by Holly & Harvey. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah for your pitto extraction!
    Can't wait till rhodies spring into action!

    ReplyDelete