Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July Bloom Day



The rhodies and azaleas are done blooming now, replaced by lavender, gladiolus and fuchsias. Lots of other flowers continue to bloom, like the California poppies. Others are just starting up, like the hydrangeas.



I'm getting quite the collection of lavenders. They range in color from deep purple to pink and white. There's plenty of plain old English lavender for me to harvest yet leave other flowers for viewing and the bees.



Ever since visiting Fickle Hill Old Rose Nursery, I've been thinking about where I can stick in more roses. I still have several hybrid teas in pots that Karin acquired nearly 20 years ago. They've been very patient, and need to go in first. But I'm finding that I like the more unruly climbers and China roses better.

I'm also looking at spots that really need plants. This awareness was partly spurred by wanting to take photos of the garden, but noticing unlovely fences and walls in the view. Some roses and clematis are planned. A Japanese maple will help screen a boring garage wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment