Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Queen Follies

I have a hive that's been wanting to swarm for 2 weeks. Silly me, I waited just a wee bit too long to add another box. That'll teach me to wait when they still have undeveloped real estate :-/

There were more queen cells today - some open, some capped. On one frame, I saw a large crowd in the drone sector. I nudged the bees away, and found a cleverly disguised queen cell. It was angled sideways along the bottom. I dug it out, and saw an adult-looking rear end sticking out of the cell. I opened the top then, and out popped the young queen. I nabbed her and set her aside.

I really don't need to start another nuc, but hate to waste a potentially good queen. So I called Julia, who directed me to Chris. Yes, Chris was interested, so I planned to run up to Westhaven as soon as I was done with the inspection.

Down in the bottom box, I found a similar crowd, so I nudged the bees away just like before. The crowd moved, but I saw that there was a queen with them. She didn't look too good. I may have nudged her just wrong; I don't know. She was also scrawny, unlike the one I midwifed. I suspect that she's Sofia, my bought queen, though I saw not even a remanent of paint. Slimmed down for swarming, perhaps? I caged her, just in case she was another daughter whom I missed, and also to keep her under observation. If she really is Sofia, and pulls through, I'm hoping that keeping her confined will help suppress the swarming urge. I guess we'll see.

After I got home, I caged the queen that I midwifed. She's a lively one. The way she popped out of her cell reminded me of a certain Greek goddess springing from Zeus' head. I think this queen has a name already. Athena also seems a very appropriate name for a daughter of Sophia ("wisdom").

So now I have to go back on my queen offer, though hopefully for only a few days. Sorry, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment