Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Russians are Here!

Last Sunday evening, we were watching the bees working the garden. Out of the blue, Karin said “Why don’t you go ahead and get another hive?” I was blown away; Karin was so nervous about having just one hive in the garden. I guess she’s more comfortable now, and might even get a bigger kick out of watching them than I do. She also has visions of golden honey flowing from the spigots : )

On Monday morning, I wasn’t sure I really had heard her, or that it might have been a dream. I asked, and she said “Yes, go ahead”. With only a little delay, I got onto the local beekeeper’s Yahoo group, and asked about extra split hives or unwanted swarms. That evening, I got a call from a fellow, Garrett, who sells “nucleus hives” in spring. He has Russian bees, which have intrigued me. So I broke down and bought them. I had hoped to get some free bees, but figured that a well cared for colony would be better for a newb like me.

Garrett brought the bees this morning. The nuc hive came with about 6 (maybe 8?!) frames of brood & food, along with Empress Ekaterina and her Cossacks. I don’t think they’ll be too far behind Boudicca and her Iceni in production, thanks to the filled frames. They’ll stay in the nuc hive for a few days, so they know where home is, and can get used to the new neighborhood. On Sunday, we’ll transfer the frames to my own hive box. I so want to peek in there now, but must be patient.

It will be interesting to see the differences between the Italians (Boudicca) and the Russians, in terms of activity and honey production. The Russians are said to be at least as gentle as the Italians, which is comforting to Karin. They might also be more willing to go foraging on foggy days, like we often have here. The Italians tend to stay inside and sip their espressos until the sun comes out. It is also thought that the Russians (aka Russian Survivors) are better able to resist the ravages of the varroa mite, which can cause big problems in a hive.

Now I wonder where I could put a third hive…?

No comments:

Post a Comment